Sunday, May 15, 2011

I am Radioactive!

Friday, May 13, 2011

WOW! I have 4 followers! It's nice to know that others care about me and are rooting for me to get better. We had an uneventful trip to Gainesville on Wednesday. The people down there are so nice and friendly. They love me - but who could not? I am so cute and sweet.

We see swallow-tailed kites almost every trip. We saw a dead alligator on the roadside on the way down on Wednesday. It was 4 - 5 feet long. Someone must have hit it while it was trying to cross the road during the night. We'll have to be careful when driving that stretch. Many animals are moving around now because the water is so low. We are having a dry spell (supposed to last all summer). Pretty soon we'll be reading stories about alligators in the swimming pools.

Everyone was pleased with me on Wednesday so I got a shot of my first chemo drug - something called Vincristine. I'm also taking prednisone (for my appetite) and an antibiotic. Mom puts the pills in a little bit of peanut butter that I lick off of her finger. Then Smokey gets some; mom does not want him to feel left out. He doesn't get the pill though.

When we left the hospital around 5:30, mom gave me some food and water. Coming across I-10 we saw a small alligator, about 2 feet long, come out of the grass with the intention of crossing the road. Mom said if it did it would surely get hit. I didn't really hear her say that because I was asleep. Long rides in the car put me to sleep.

When we got home Smokey was very happy to see us but he did fine on his own. At least he had access to the back yard so mom did not worry about him too much. He knows things are different so he is coping as we all are. Mom gave both of us food and I had some pills. Then we went to bed.

Now that I've had my chemo I will be radioactive for 72 hours. No, my pee and poop do not glow in the dark hahaha. Mom says she has used more Ziplock bags (to pick up my poop) this week than she used in the last year! She tries to use as little plastic (a petroleum product) as possible. But she'll do it for me because she loves me - and I love her.

Maybe by Sunday Smokey and I can patrol the yard together. We miss our romps but I don't have the strength right now. I'm eating at least a cup of dry food a day and I get some tasty treats and the peanut butter. But the prednisone makes me pee a lot. I had to get mom up at 2:30 in the morning to go out. I also pooped but she had to wait until the next morning to find it. I like to go under the shrubs in the leaf litter. Brown on brown is my little joke.

I got those awful staples out on Friday morning. My incision is still a little itchy. I am so glad they are GONE! Maybe I won't have to wear the flower to bed tonight. Otherwise I think I feel pretty good. I'm not trying to eat grass when we go outside and I have not vomited or had diarrhea. Keeping my paws crossed on that.
Look Ma! No Staples!
We're sitting on the porch with the fans on. It's a cloudy evening (humidity really high) and we're hoping for rain on Saturday. A cardinal family and a wren family are out teaching their fledglings how to use the feeders and the bird bath. Mom will have to refill the feeders soon.It's so nice out here. Quiet except for the birds; we like listening to birds.

Some wrens have built a nest in an old mailbox. We'll keep an eye on it to see if they lay any eggs.
The wrens are in the mail.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you can stay home for a while! Does your pee glow in the dark?

    Tell this one to you mom for us:

    A happily married man had only one complaint: his wife was always nursing sick birds.
    One November evening, he came home to find a raven with a splint on its beak sitting in his favorite chair. On the dining room table there was a feverish eagle pecking at an aspirin, while in the kitchen his wife was comforting a shivering little wren that she found in the snow.
    The furious spouse strode over to his wife and said, "I can't take it any more! We've got to get rid of all of these darn..."
    The wife held up her hand to cut him off. "Please, dear," she said. "Not in front of the chilled wren."

    love from p&z

    ReplyDelete