Sunday, May 15, 2011

Smokey and I are on Patrol

Sunday, May 15, 2011


We had lots of lovely rain on Saturday. Boy, did we need it. The plants and birds are happy. Mom is trying to grow tomatoes. All those farmer genes from her ancestors aren't helping much. This is a little golden pear-shaped tomato. A few years ago, long before we were even born, mom stayed with some friends in California and they grew these tomatoes. Everyone grabbed some for a snack on the way to the barns and had more on the way back to the house. So far this plant has produced one (1) tomato. Very disappointing.

On the other hand, her friend Paula, sowed, nurtured, and grew these chocolate tomatoes and gave mom two plants. They are doing really well.


We all hope the little eggplants get bigger soon. 




I still have to wear the flower sometimes since I still want to lick my tummy. I thought I had mom fooled about not being able to get around because I couldn't see my feet, but she caught me on the window seat. And then Buddy made me get on mom's bed! He looks so innocent licking his paw. That cat gets me in all kinds of trouble! Smokey said I should sleep in my own bed like he does. Sometimes he is so smug.

Pasquale and Buddy don't pay me much attention but they worry about mom. When mom sits in her chair, Buddy and I get in her lap and take a nap while she reads. We know a warm fuzzy critter is very comforting. The other night Pasquale decided that mom needed comforting but it was around 3:00 a.m. He wanted to walk on her, curl up on her right shoulder and do his deep rumbling purr. They had to compromise because mom said that sort of attention at 3:00 a.m. is NOT comforting.

It's very cool today (Sunday). I ate a whole cup of food this morning and I tried to eat Smokey's food too. I also checked the floor to see if the cats had dropped anything. No such luck.

Mom says I should not be too radioactive so Smokey and I can go on patrol today. We're up by the gate where the wrens are working on the old mailbox nest. Everything looks good from our viewpoint. I still can't run and play but I have a lot of my energy back for short periods. I can run up and down the stairs almost as fast as I did before I got sick. I think my fur is beginning to grow back in those bald spots. Maybe I didn't have mange after all.
Mom has been pulling weeds which is much easier since the ground is soft from the rain.We're on the porch again and the AC is off! We can sleep with the windows open at night. None of us are looking forward to a hot summer. One more round and then I'll take a nap. I'm starting to get hungry again. Maybe she'll feed me soon. Ahh, I ate another whole cup of food for dinner. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment