Thursday, June 30, 2011

Never, EVER boiling chicken bones again

Hooo boy. Mom should not cook. I mean, she can cook pretty good if she keeps her mind on it. Yesterday she put some chicken bones on to boil to get the good stuff out. Sometimes I eat that stuff and once I ate broth but I'm not crazy about it. So she put the bones on to boil and then we all went on the porch. Smokey and I watched squirrels and mom read a book. She forgot about the bones.

When we went inside the house was full of smoke and Smokey and I started sneezing and wheezing and had to go back outside. She turned off the AC and opened all the windows and doors and turned on all of the ceiling fans. She also lit a bunch of scented candles. Boy, did the house stink and the pot was all crusty black inside. Y U C K! Mom soaked the pot all night and used baking soda, vinegar, lemon juice, some nasty degreaser, and mustard to clean it. Not sure how good mustard is as a burned pot cleaner but it was next to the lemon juice in the fridge so - why not?

This is after some significant scrubbing.Trust me - the pot was coal black inside






After more scrubbing


Looking better














Almost as good as new!


Chowing down

I've been eating pretty good for the past week. A few tablespoons at a time every 2 or 3 hours so my system is not overloaded. I was doing so well that last night mom offered me raw carrots. I really like the crunch of raw carrots. But eleven hours later, I threw up. Now I'm not eating again - not even my favorite cheese and peanut butter. Mom has done lots of research and she isn't panicking this time. Going off the food is fairly common among canines with cancer. The problem is not knowing IF my appetite will come back and what will trigger it.

First mom finally bought a water filter so we can all have filtered water now. Everyone should drink filtered water, especially dogs with cancer. Then mom bought a lot of different foods to see if I might like something. Here's the rundown suggested by one canine cancer site:
Chicken - Smokey ate it
Liverwurst - Smokey ate it
Sardines (lots of Omega 3) - Smokey ate it
Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison - I ate a little
Some fishy cat food - Smokey and the cats ate it
Treats made from duck and cod - Smokey and I like these
Wellness Treats (thank you Karla!) - Smokey and I like these too
At last, I ate a little cheese and peanut butter so I got my prednisone today

I'm drinking more water too so that will help. Got to keep hydrated. I'm not ready to go yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment